How challenging is that first year as a Nurse? Is it so hard that Nurses want to quit? Dread going to work? Do Nurses need to “take medications” to just make it through a shift???
These questions were drawn from an article that I read: I fear for the future of Nursing that discussed the challenges new Nurses face.
- Is there still a sink or swim attitude
- Are new nurses stating they can’t handle it and looking to get out
- Is our profession challenging.. are the patients are getting sicker?
- Do we shelter our students?
- Should we allow them to fail?
- Should be no fear of repercussions
- Is there a culture of blame and punishment?
- Do we have a support system?
- How about severe mental illness? Are nurses depressed just because of their chosen profession?
- Be prepared for the hard. Expect the unexpected.
- Grow a thick set of skin by advocating for your patient and yourself.
- Ask questions. All the time every time. Do not get cocky.
- Talk to someone. Every day or every shift.
- Learn to say no
Any topic suggestions?